Costco #24 on Fortune 500

April 22nd, 2009 · 9 Comments

Costco, even in the ongoing economic turmoil, has managed to scooch up the Fortune 500 from 29th in 2008 to 24th this year.   They’ve had some slowing in sales, most notably big ticket items, however, they have managed to do well with their bulk food and produce and their Kirkland Signature branded items.   They’re also taking advantage of the real estate market’s downturn to acquire additional real estate that is better located, and at better prices, than they might have been able to purchase a couple of years ago (hopefully this will help all of you people in Florida get some additional locations).  And, they do still plan on opening their 25 to 30 new locations this year.

In the category of ‘specialty retailers’ that Fortune has placed them in, they rank at the top with Home Depot (25), Lowe’s (47), and Best Buy (56) their nearest competitors.

Fortune: 2009 Fortune 500 – #24 Costco

Tags: General · In the News Share

1. 1 Amber // 2014.03.28 at 12:04 pm

Can anyone tell me if there are any positions available on the intranet at Bend, Or or Toledo, oh please

2. 2 Daniel // 2009.08.04 at 1:09 pm

Costco is indeed opening on 116th street and the FDR drive in Manhattan. I work for Costco and confirmed it on our intranet! We also have NEW coupons starting on the 17th of August.

3. 3 Kimberly // 2009.05.04 at 9:33 am

Chris, thanks for the information & link about the store in Manhattan. I added your comment to my Costco Locations page too.

4. 4 Chris // 2009.05.04 at 9:21 am

Link to info on Manhattan store: http://www.nypost.com/seven/04022009/news/regionalnews/manhattan/here_comes_costco_162510.htm

5. 5 Chris // 2009.05.04 at 9:18 am

Manhattan Store is coming!!! East Harlem where Home Depot is…. Taking over there lease… They will open with a Mega Target Store right next to it.

6. 6 Day Trading // 2009.05.02 at 12:46 am

I like the info and will be linking back to you from my site. Also great looking site I wish I had one like this.

7. 7 Kimberly // 2009.04.23 at 9:20 am

I feel your pain Clue because I bought some Costco stock last year too & it was quite a bit higher than it is now. However, have faith that it will come back. It is one of the few stocks in my portfolio that has not completely embarrassed itself (I’m looking at you GE!).

8. 8 Clue // 2009.04.23 at 9:00 am

I know they’re a solid company, and that’s why theirs is the only individual stock I still own. But wowzers, it’s got along way to go to get back to where I bought it early last year! I sold my Panera shares to buy it and I’ve kicked myself hard ever since. But I’m going on ethics and business practices these days, so I’m sitting tight with my COST stock.

9. 9 Gabe // 2009.04.22 at 12:26 pm

They need to open a location in Manhattan!!!

This is the response I got from them:

Thank you for your email to Costco Wholesale.
    Currently we do not have any public information regarding plans to open a Costco in your area.
    Our real estate department is continually looking for ideas for new locations around the country and around the world.
    We will forward your suggestion to our Real Estate Department so they are aware of your interest.