Things I Wish Costco Would Stock

September 17th, 2009 · 50 Comments

Obviously, I am a big fan of Costco and have been shopping there for a number of years.  In that time, I’ve seen many products, including some of our favorites, come and go.  At first when they replace something that I really love, or just get rid of it, I’m so sad and a little frustrated/angry too.  But, they usually get something else in that I like too.  Of course, there are a few things that are on the seasonal cycle, so they are there for a few months and then gone.   There are also some items that Costco has never carried that we really, really wish they would.

I’m not sure how Costco makes their decisions on what to stock or what to get rid of entirely.  Have you ever noticed that some of the things that seem to be selling well don’t necessarily stick around?  So, it can’t just solely be based on what sells well.  I do know that sometimes they have issues with manufacturer’s where they are just unable to keep Costco stocked with something and Costco has to quit carrying the item.

Just about every time we are in Costco, one of us will say ‘I wish Costco had/still had’ something.  So, I’ve made a little list of things that I wish I could buy at Costco.  Some of these are things that they used to carry and have discontinued and some are just wishful thinking on my part.  But all of them are things that I really would like to see on the shelves at my Costco.

1. White mini-LED Christmas Lights – Dave and I have been hoping to see these at Costco for a couple of years now.  They have the multi-colored ones and I think this year they have them in both mini and large sizes.  And they have regular mini-lights in white too, but never the LED.  Does no manufacturer make white mini-LED light strings?  Or does Costco just think that no one would possibly want those?  I don’t know, but if they ever have them I’ll buy several strands, like 15 probably.
  2. Sabra Roasted Red Pepper or Chipotle Hummus – I know we’re not the only ones who want this to make a return trip to Costco.  This was something that they had at our Costco for a while and they looked to be selling it at a fairly good pace too.  And then, they just stopped having it at all.  We were so sad because it is yummy and adds a nice kick to the regular hummus.  They’ve only had it back once or twice in the last couple of years.  One time was just a few weeks ago, but by the time we got there it was all sold out!  Which of course made us so sad to have missed it.   But this is definitely something that I wish they would bring back on a permanent basis.
  3. Walker’s Chocolate Shortbread Cookies – If you were one of the lucky people that bought these last year when they were in stores, you know why I want them back.  These are awesome!  They combine the best of chocolate with the best of shortbread, for an incredibly delicious and rich cookie.  We loved them, and they had them for a few months and then they were gone.  I’m hoping that these are a seasonal item that are only available in the colder months (hey, you wouldn’t want that delicious chocolate to melt) of the year.  I guess I’ll know in a few months if they’ll be back or not.
  4. Donuts – I love a good donut and I love the Costco bakery items.  So, wouldn’t it be great if the bakery would make donuts?  You know that they would be good sized and delicious.  I don’t care if they are the cake kind or not, if they are filled or not, or if they are just plain sugared donuts.  I’m not picky, I’d just love to see some Costco donuts.
  5. Regular French Fries or Tater Tots – The only French fries that we have at our Costco are the Alexia sweet potato fries.  They’re good, but not the only fries that I want.  What really annoys me about us only have the sweet potato fries, is that several people I know that aren’t in Austin have regular fries in their Costco freezer section.  So, why can’t we share in the love for regular fries too?  I’d even go the tater tot route if that could happen.  There’s just something about crispy potato products that I love.  And the same people that make the sweet potato fries make a variety of other types of potato products – regular fries to waffle cut – that it would seem Costco could stock.
  6. V8 Fusion juice in single serving bottles – Costco used to have these in the pomegranate and blueberry flavor but then they replaced them with the big bottles of strawberry and banana.  It’s not really the flavor that I care about, honestly.  I just want the much more convenient 12 ounce bottles that they had previously.  They took up much less space in the fridge and were easier for Dave to take for lunch.  Not to mention, they were already portioned out so I didn’t have to think about how big my serving was and I didn’t have to dirty a glass to have my juice.  No one I’ve talked to at our Costco seems to know why they made the change either.
  7. Power Bar Variety Pack without Peanut Butter flavor – Dave really likes Power Bars but is not a fan of the peanut butter flavor.  And I can understand that because it kind of tastes (to me) like an old, dirty ashtray smells.  Unfortunately, the variety pack that Costco has always includes the peanut butter.  It would be better if they would have just single flavor boxes even.  But no, if you want to get your bargain priced Power Bars you are going to have to choke down the peanut butter flavored ones too.  And I can understand Dave’s frustration, even though I don’t like Power Bars, they do the same thing with the variety pack of Luna bars.
  8. More Mac Software – Sadly, just about all the software that they sell at Costco or Costco.com is geared towards PC users.  If you’ve got a Mac though, you get a sad little collection that includes such favorites as QuickBooks.  There are a few other titles that you can find at Costco.com: Roxio, Toast 10, Parallels, and some kind of Star Trek comic book thing.  There’s also some foreign language and student learning type of stuff.  All in all though, not very much compared to the PC software.  The weirdest thing, is the lack of Adobe stuff which they sell for the PC but not the Mac.  Why would they only sell the PC stuff for these graphics programs?  I can’t be one of the few Costco shoppers that also uses a Mac, can I?

I could go on and on here, for at least another 10 items, just off the top of my head.   Everyone who shops at Costco probably has a list like this too.  I know that the biggest frustration people have with Costco is the way that they change their inventory and get rid of something you really love.  And why does it seem that it is always when you have started to feel like they’ll be keeping the item around for quite some time?  So, what’s on your list?

Tags: costco.com · Electronics · Food · Household Items · Office Share

1. 1 michael // 2009.09.21 at 11:58 am

The Sushi trays are back. I’ve seen them all Summer long.

2. 2 Julie // 2009.09.21 at 10:20 am

We have always hoped for men body wash or any body wash for that matter! Also, the Sushi trays! Im hoping they will come back around the holdiays.

3. 3 tofu // 2009.09.21 at 3:50 am

Boca Burgers Original Vegan. Got a Sams membership just for these. 🙁

4. 4 Nancy // 2009.09.20 at 7:39 pm

garden seaononing by Tones. haven’t seen it for years. love the stuff. chai tea latte mix. I see it at other locations (sometimes), never at my Costco. Low fat cheese. they do have a good fresh mozzarella for a great price. Lubraderm body lotion with SPF. I bought it once years ago, and haven’t seen it since. cashew butter. Costco recently started selling a pretty good natural PB and almond butter. milk, one gallon, not 2 gallons packaged together. Yo+ yogurt. Danactive light drinkable yogurt. aloe vera juice. blackberry all fruit spread. I am able to get all of these things at Trader Joe’s (california) or my local grocery store, but would love the option to buy in bulk for a more affordable purchase. It would also be nice if they sold accesories for items they sold. I recently bought a Nikon camera at Costco, but cannot buy any additional lenses there. I will end up spending more on the lenses than the camera. but, all-in-all, I LOVE costco. I am there very regularly and am mostly satisfied with what they carry.

5. 5 Kevin // 2009.09.19 at 9:04 pm

Several years ago, I found dried strawberries and bought a bag every time I went. They were only sold for a few months, then they disappeared and I never saw them again. Now they only carry dried blueberries, cherries, apricots, and mixed fruits. I am sad.

6. 6 TK // 2009.09.19 at 5:15 pm

At our local Costco, I don’t see men’s body wash and body spray. I really wish Costco carried those. KS brand would be nice.

7. 7 Ben // 2009.09.19 at 12:04 am

About a year and a half ago Costco suddenly got ounce jars of La Mancha Saffron at a ridiculously good price, but only about a week later it was gone for good. Now I can’t ever go through without checking the spice aisle, hoping it’ll be back!

8. 8 Lori // 2009.09.18 at 5:31 pm

We have waffle fries and would like tater tots! That said, more lowfat choices would be great.

9. 9 Shawn // 2009.09.18 at 5:10 pm

I think that was each location stocks is by location. Because honestly, half of the things that you guys list here we sell at my location. And I know what people mean about the stuff that seems to be selling really good and then they discontinue it. What’s up with that?

10. 10 michael // 2009.09.18 at 3:40 pm

Also The Red hot Sauce is here in Michigan, I believe it is a seasonal product.

11. 11 Pat P. // 2009.09.18 at 3:01 pm

I’m aware that Costco doesn’t stock the same products at every location, but I scouted 3 locations and couldn’t find these:
    1) Method Daily Shower Spray – it really keeps my shower curtain liner free of icky stuff. I buy refill bottle from Target, but would love an even larger size.
    2) Clean & Clear oil blotting sheets – I have very oily skin so I go through them pretty fast, especially summer time. It’s so expensive so I want to buy in bulk.
    3) cupcakes chocolate-only (I don’t really care for the white cupcakes.)
    4) Herbal Essence shampoo & conditioner
    5) clarifying/acne face wash like Clean & Clear or Neutrogena. I only saw the regular glycerin Neutrogena bar soaps.

@9 Tiff, they have the Venus razor at my local Costco. I think there was a coupon for it in the previous coupon book, because I bought some to try and remember thinking “these better darn awesome because they’re pricey!”

12. 12 Judy // 2009.09.18 at 2:40 pm

DOVE Sensitive Skin bars (yes, BJ’s carries this product), Doritos (COSTCO use to have) and reduced fat peanut butter. Actually more reduced fat/light products period.

13. 13 Gerry // 2009.09.18 at 2:04 pm

Babaganoush & generic maximum strength Mucinex.

14. 14 Ozzie // 2009.09.18 at 1:45 pm

Frozen veggies the steamer variety and not huge bags which need to be cooked in a dish
    More varieties of the Lucini spag sauce
    More “craft” beers
    Compactor trash bags
    Werther candies in the larger bags

15. 15 Hanna // 2009.09.18 at 10:18 am

PAMPERS! and yes, BJs carry them…I am just sort of hoping that Costco start carrying them before I give in to the BJ membership.

Other item available at BJs, but not at Costco that I wish they carry are:
    Tom’s Toothpaste
    babyfood (BJs carry Beech Nuts)

16. 16 Robin // 2009.09.18 at 1:09 am

I also use BJ’s to fill in some of the stuff I can’t get at Costco. I find the Zone and Luna bars have too many calories, so I get the Atkins bars at BJs instead.

In general I wish Costco had more sugar free/low calorie products. With so many people overweight and/or diabetic I wish they had a few more healthy options for us. They did seem to start carrying the Cabot low fat snack size cheddar, around the same time I put in a request for low fat cheese. Too bad they don’t make a low fat version of their own brick of cheddar.

Fresh roasted turkey breast, along with the rotisserie chicken.

They got me hooked on Nestle Purelife green tea demo, then stopped carrying in soon after. It’s the only brand I’ll drink.

More choses for cats. 27 options for dogs from toys to pigs ears, and cats get 4 items.
    1 option each of canned food, cheap dry food, Kirkland better dry, and kitty litter. I’d really like to see some treats offered.

How about carrying some clothing in larger sizes?

17. 17 Tiff // 2009.09.17 at 11:19 pm

Things I wish it carried: Venus Breeze razors as they are the most expensive in the stores and of course the ones i love to use. name brand cream cheese!! in tubs not blocks, i know that sams carries philly in 2 tub packages and while i would love to take the offer i wont stray from costco. franks red hot sauce although i did try tapatio and its an ok alternative but i love my franks.

18. 18 GregLeg // 2009.09.17 at 7:45 pm

I wish mine would restock the Kashi Heart-to-Heart cereal (the one that resembles Cheerios, but healthier) Also waiting for them to restock XBox 360’s so I can replace my dead one.

Mentadent toothpaste. Arm & Hammer deoderant. Um, not too much else, really — they cover the things I buy in bulk pretty darn well.

19. 19 michae // 2009.09.17 at 7:19 pm

Here in Michigan we have the roasted red pepper hummus. It must be by region.

20. 20 Wade // 2009.09.17 at 6:02 pm

Lite Sour Cream.

21. 21 Brenda // 2009.09.17 at 5:35 pm

I wish they would sell Sure deodorant, and bring back Method liquid soap. But, I’m so happy with Costco overall, it’s a small sacrifice to pay.

22. 22 CJ // 2009.09.17 at 5:32 pm

Have you tried BJ’s? Ours has a few of these items. As much as I love Costco, I know that it can’t be all things to all people.

23. 23 JT // 2009.09.17 at 5:19 pm

Here’s a tip on the chipotle hummus. Buy a can of chipotle peppers in adobo. Chopped each pepper up, slide it onto a piece of wax paper. Do it to all of the peppers. Place in the freezer until solid. Once solid, peel off and place on the side of any old hummus. As it thaws, you can take a bit of chipotle with your hummus and you’re set. As you begin running out of chipotle, add another splat from the freezer. It is a great way to use up an entire can of chipotle peppers in adobo.

24. 24 Nabeela // 2009.09.17 at 4:42 pm

I have a list of things I wish Costco carried too. A while ago, they carried Jalapeno hummus that was amazing. But when I went back for more, it was gone and they haven;t restocked that flavor yet 🙁
    I also love the baklava they sell during holiday time. But I wish they sold it throughout the year. I’d buy it every month.
    I’ve filled out the comments form suggesting they carry vegetarian broth(we have a lot of Indians in our area who are vegetarians) but it was never taken up 🙁

25. 25 Emily // 2009.09.17 at 11:43 am

Do you fill out comment cards suggesting / asking about these items? I’ve head the comment cards are read and given to the appropriate buyer.