Costco US Food Court Adds BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

October 31st, 2013 · 34 Comments

A while back I wrote about a big change, and traumatic for some, change to the Costco Food Court items when they started taking the churro off the menu.  Sadly, the churro absence has grown and spread to many different locations in different areas of the country, so clearly it really is leaving.  And while that makes all of us churro lovers sad, there are new things that will be coming along to soften the blow.

But wait, now there’s a new menu item that might take away some of the sadness left by the gapping churro shaped hole in the menu.  Okay, it isn’t sweet and covered with cinnamon and sugar and it isn’t even fried dough.  But it does look good, very very good.  The new item is a barbecue beef brisket sandwich, complete with coleslaw.  How good does that sound?  Take a look at the picture, it looks as good as it sounds!  Is your mouth watering?  Because I know mine was when I first saw that picture.  I’m just guessing that this one won’t be making it onto the menu here in the UK, but I will definitely be trying this out on my next Costco US shopping trip (hopefully at the end of November).

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

Costco US Food Court BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich

This new yummy addition to the Costco US Food Court menu is $4.99 and while I’ve only been able to confirm that it is part of the menu in California, I’m sure it will be coming to all of the US locations soon.

Tags: Food Share

1. 1 sean // 2013.11.05 at 12:02 pm

noooo churro is one of the best things on the menu. Why don’t they just take away the hotdog next. Will not be ordering a BBQ sandwich anytime soon when hotdog and soda is such a good deal.

2. 2 Jim // 2013.11.03 at 4:07 pm

…One other thing, they do still have the Churros at my Costco in Burbank, CA.

3. 3 Jim // 2013.11.03 at 4:00 pm

I just tried it yesterday and was pretty satisfied. I live in the Los Angeles are but I am originally from Memphis, TN (BBQ Capitol of the USA) and so I know what good BBQ is like. Cole Slaw in BBQ Sandwiches is the way they make them in Memphis. It adds texture and flavor, sort of like lettuce on a burger. The sandwich was pretty good and a lot of food for $5. Where it is lacking compared to the BBQ I grew up with is that the sauce could be a little more bold and flavorful and of course REAL BBQ meat is smoked for many hours. Also, it’s better if the buns are lightly toasted. So, it ain’t Memphis BBQ but for $5, it isn’t bad especially here in Southern California where they don’t know JACK about real BBQ!

4. 4 Caramel96 // 2013.11.03 at 2:25 pm

I was shocked to hear that some Costco locations don’t have churros. They have them in my local store in Lancaster, California. Why is that?

5. 5 Caramel96 // 2013.11.03 at 2:23 pm

This is my first time hearing about a BBQ Brisket Sandwhich at Costco. I was in my local store in Lancaster, California but I didn’t visit the food court. The reviews don’t look so good. I will wait until someone I know buys and it and I will try theirs. I am very picky when it comes to BBQ. I only eat it when my boyfriend cooks out or from an establishment that cooks it the way he does and sometimes it still doesn’t compare to his.

6. 6 Texas Dan // 2013.11.02 at 12:27 pm

I agree with some of the more negative comments above. It’s great idea for a menu addition, but very poor in the execution. I tried it at the north Austin store and was really excited about it. Love COSTCO’s food court, but I’ll stick with their Turkey Provolone sandwich at $3.99. It’s WAY better than this BBQ brisket offering.

7. 7 RK // 2013.11.01 at 9:11 pm

UPDATE: More information on the BBQ Sandwich. Apparently, the meat, cole slaw and bun are stored separately awaiting orders. The meat is kept in a steam table tray. In our weekly Costco trip today, my wife wanted to try the sandwich again. I didn’t. She asked the cashier all about the sandwich. She also told the cashier that last week the meat was cold. So, this week, the meat in the sandwich my wife was served was just a bit warmer, but it was so greasy it changed the color of the white surrounding paper to a weird amber color. My guess is that the meat came from the bottom of the steam table tray, since it would be warmer. But, it would also have all of the grease. I doubt if there will be a next time for the sandwich here, but my wife says she would ask for meat from the middle, or maybe they should stir it up. She only ate about half of the sandwich.

8. 8 Peter // 2013.11.01 at 7:29 pm

Like someone else has stated the Churro will be coming back the week of the 14th.

9. 9 Cristina // 2013.11.01 at 3:16 pm

I tried this at the Lenexa location in the KC area. Not impressed, especially not at $5. The bun is the most disappointing part of the sandwich, and the coleslaw dressing is really bland. This could’ve been a really great menu item, but the execution is bad.

10. 10 RK // 2013.10.31 at 11:05 pm

I would rather have the cole slaw separate from the sandwich. That way, you can choose whether you want to eat it by itself, or in the sandwich. By the way, you can ask for a knife to cut the sandwich in half. They stock plastic utensils under the counter where you order. If I have it again, I’m going to ask for the cole slaw on the side, with a fork. I hope the BBQ Beef is warm. I wonder how they keep it…they didn’t seem to have it ready right away like most everything else. Do they have a microwave oven?

By the way, it also comes with a white paper circular cover over the sandwich.

11. 11 Ted // 2013.10.31 at 11:05 pm

I had one at one of the Cincinnati Costcos in early October. I was very disappointed, though, and will not be getting one again – at least not while I still have other options. At $5 it was too expensive for Costco’s food court, and there was nothing particularly good about it. Plain bun, boring coleslaw, and cold beef that could use a lot more flavor.

It does look really good, though.

12. 12 Susan // 2013.10.31 at 10:33 pm

The sandwich is here in Madison, Wisconsin!

13. 13 Candyj // 2013.10.31 at 10:25 pm

They are on the menu at the Frisco, Texas location – about 2 weeks. And coleslaw isn’t a strange thing. That’s what a lot of sandwiches like this have on them. if you watch food shows on TV they show it, as well as in magazines. I thought it looked pretty good but if it doesn’t come with a drink, then perhaps it is a little expensive.

14. 14 kate // 2013.10.31 at 9:46 pm

BBQ hit our Atlanta location on Monday. I have yet to try it. The churo is still on the menu also. I’m waiting for the bulgogi bake next! Wishful thinking….

15. 15 Jay // 2013.10.31 at 7:53 pm

the churro was discontinued but after lots of complaints they churro is coming back next week.

16. 16 ct // 2013.10.31 at 6:22 pm

Unlikely we’ll see them in North Carolina where BBQ means pork and nothing else.

17. 17 RK // 2013.10.31 at 5:05 pm

Tried the new BBQ Beef Sandwich at Huntington Beach CA last week. Not impressed. The meat was cold and looked a lot like the BBQ Beef they sell in the prepared foods section in the store. It appeared to me that the BBQ beef had been put into a blender before it was placed on the bun. And, at $4.99 (without a drink) it is expensive for Costco. BBQ Beef and Cole Slaw together in a bun is an odd combination.

18. 18 Amber // 2013.10.31 at 4:51 pm

Yum, looks good! I haven’t seen them in WA yet, but we still have the churros.

I was also told by one of the food court workers that they no longer have the ice cream bars. They took the sign down too. Too bad, those were delicious (abet 10000 calories, lol).

19. 19 Alan // 2013.10.31 at 3:23 pm

I’ve seen both the BBQ beef sandwich and the churro at the Grafton, WI location. I believe that I’ve seen both at the Pewaukee location too.

Re the signs – In Grafton, both signs were there

20. 20 suzanne // 2013.10.31 at 1:30 pm

I just had this sandwich last night in Sacramento, California. It’s very tasty..a little pricy for Costco but I would order it again.

21. 21 Kevin // 2013.10.31 at 12:54 pm

BBQ also seen at Lake in the Hills, IL around mid-October

22. 22 donna // 2013.10.31 at 11:53 am

got it in Kansas

23. 23 Peter // 2013.10.31 at 10:25 am

I saw them at a Costco outside Indianapolis, and I’m going to have one for lunch today in Eden Prairie, MN!

24. 24 Jamie // 2013.10.31 at 6:42 am

We have it in my Clearwater, FL location!

25. 25 Diggity Dawg // 2013.10.31 at 6:32 am

I can confirm that they’re on the menu/available at the Kansas City location I frequent.

As of last Saturday, you could still get a churro, too. But I did notice the sign for those has been replaced by one for the BBQ sandwich. So it looks like the churro is indeed on its way out.