Quick Update

May 31st, 2017 · 37 Comments

Wow, it has been a seriously long time since I have posted here!  Sorry!

I want to apologize for seemingly falling off the face of the earth without a word.  I haven’t been trapped under a giant stack of Costco sized paper towels and my love of Costco hasn’t waned.  Unfortunately, I haven’t won the lottery or anything exciting and cool like that either.  It’s not the best excuse, but I’ve been really struggling with my RA (rheumatoid arthritis) for the last couple of years, which is why I needed to take a break from blogging originally.  It has made it hard for me to be interested in blogging or doing much of anything.  Luckily for me, the last few months I’ve been getting my health in check again and have even had the energy to do a bit of traveling (which is my other passion).  I’ve started to get back to a place where I can get on with stuff that I really want to do, like work on AddictedToCostco.  We’re also starting to plan our return to the United States after a wonderful (nearly) eight years in London.

I am definitely still planning to turn this blog into a discussion forum so that everyone can chat and share all kinds of Costco information – coupons, news, deals, location information, and more.  My hope is to have that up and working before August.

Also, I feel I need to do say something in reaction to a very strange comment that someone posted recently (and I have deleted since it was just nonsense):

I do not, and have never, worked for Costco, nor has any member of my family.  I am not paid millions by Costco or anyone else for writing this blog, though I certainly wish that were the case.  I do not have any type of revenue deal with Costco and they do not advertise on my blog, unless they choose to target it via the Google advertising network which I do not control.

So, to end on a better note, and in case you missed it, Costco just opened in a new country:  Iceland!  Which I find truly amazing but I’m glad for the small population of Iceland to finally have more choices and better prices.  This seems like a perfect reason for me to plan another trip to Iceland.

Tags: General · In the News Share

1. 1 holagranola // 2017.07.25 at 2:52 pm

I’m so happy to see you back! Yay!

2. 2 Terry // 2017.07.23 at 6:23 pm

On a whim, I decided to look for your site this evening. I hope you are doing well! You were missed! Welcome back!

3. 3 CA // 2017.07.10 at 6:10 am

Welcome back! I had stumbled upon your tripadvisor reviews one day, so I knew for a while you were just traveling, but didn’t know you had health reasons to be away from blogging. Let the costco addictions continue!

4. 4 Hazel // 2017.07.01 at 3:34 pm

I have used and loved the Costco Photo Center’s photo book options–always opting for the custom builder which gave me so much flexibility. I admit that I am a little compulsive about my photo books, and enjoy the creative process of having so many features–which I’m sure some people would find tedious. Nevertheless, we travel a lot and I have loved being able to create awesome keepsakes of our trips. We just got back from Iceland (yes, saw the new Costco there-although didn’t go in!) and have found that the Photo Center has removed the custom builder option. As a one-time thing, they were able to convert mine to the custom option, but I won’t be able to do that in the future. The agent assured me that they are working on the Simple Path to give it more options, but I’m pretty sure it won’t measure up to what I have enjoyed previously. Has anyone else run into this problem? And, if so, what did you do?

5. 5 Steven // 2017.06.20 at 7:34 am

Welcome back!!! Glad to see that your health is improving.

6. 6 Marlene // 2017.06.10 at 8:38 pm

I am so glad that you are alive and back. I cannot tell you the scenarios that have gone through my mind, including why doesn’t her mom or her husband post a comment and tell us she has died. Of course some of the scenarios included the demise of your husband also. Glad to hear you are feeling better and looking forward to more activity on here!!

• 7 Bill // 2017.06.11 at 3:48 pm

Some of my fears were even worse. I thought maybe Kimberly started an addicted to Walmart site.

• 8 Kimberly // 2017.06.21 at 1:31 am

I was under the weather, not out of my mind! 😀

• 9 Marie from Canada // 2017.06.22 at 9:06 am

Bill’s comment tickled my funny bone. I’m glad to see a bit of humour in all this. Welcome back Kimberly and greetings from Canada!

7. 10 Meg // 2017.06.10 at 9:43 am

I was so happy to see you show up in my blog feed this morning. I’m glad your health has improved, and it hope it continues to get even better and you can do all the things you want to do. Looking forward to hearing more when you get settled in the U.S. and get to know your neighborhood Costco. And I’m hoping for more posts, even if they are just along the lines of “Does anyone have an opinion on Kirkland luggage? Discuss…”

• 11 Kimberly // 2017.06.21 at 1:37 am

I really am sorry for not just posting to say “I’m not dead just sick”! One of the bad parts of having something like RA is that you keep thinking you’ll feel better tomorrow and do the stuff you’ve been putting off….sometimes you’re right and sometimes it takes a year for it to be true.

8. 12 Lissa // 2017.06.09 at 10:40 pm

So glad you’re back and feeling better. Was just thinking about you the other day, wondering what you two were up to! Curious to hear where you will be living, when you return to the states :)

• 13 Kimberly // 2017.06.21 at 1:35 am

We’ll be moving back to Austin and be just 10 minutes from Costco again. We’re really going to miss London but I will enjoy have a full sized fridge and freezer again (as well as air conditioning) to stock with all kinds of Costco finds.

9. 14 Chun // 2017.06.08 at 10:08 am

I am so glad you are back. Really worried whether you are still alive. I know you had no obligation to notify your followers of a hiatus, a short notice definitely would have helped ease the concerns in the minds of many of us. It takes a toll to update such an informative blog 3-4 times a week as you have done. I am sure many followers would be very happy to see one update every week, or even once every other week. So please take your time to recover. Thanks!

10. 15 Bill // 2017.06.06 at 8:41 pm

Happy and surprised to have you back Kimberly. I was worried you had some serious health problem. I haven’t checked this site in a while and even deleted it from my bookmarks because I figured this site was done. I just happened to check tonight. I wonder how many other followers think this site is done with? Wishing you good health.
    I read somewhere that the new Iceland store is a huge hit.
    Anyone get that special dividend?

11. 16 Corissa // 2017.06.01 at 8:02 pm

So glad to hear you are ok!

12. 17 Kimberly // 2017.06.01 at 6:47 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome back and the good wishes! I am certainly glad to be back to a much better health situation.

13. 18 Jackson // 2017.06.01 at 6:34 am

I would like to know why The Red Robin Report and Forbes would say otherwise, that you receive enough revenue to quit your day job and blog full time. Clarify this incident please?

• 19 Kimberly // 2017.06.01 at 6:42 am

I’m not sure why but I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that the author of that piece never contacted me to verify the information about my blog. You can tell that he wasn’t very good at fact checking since he doesn’t even have the year that I started my blog correct – it should be 2007, not 2006. I did not quit my job to write this blog, I was doing tech consulting at the time that I started it and continued doing so until we moved to London in 2010. For those of you that are interested in reading the article for yourselves: http://www.therobinreport.com/costcoholics-costcos-113-7-billion-addicts/

I have never stated that I do not make money from writing my blog, what I have stated is that I do not have any type of revenue deal with Costco. I support my blog through ad revenue, as is probably obvious from the ads on the site.

I don’t know exactly what your issue is with me, it’s all a bit strange and certainly overly confrontational.

• 20 Eileen // 2017.06.01 at 10:51 am

I read this as meaning the blog “AddictedToCostco: received online ad revenue, not that she received income FROM Costco.

14. 21 marge201 // 2017.05.31 at 11:41 pm

Good health to you always. Nice to have you back.

15. 22 Elaine // 2017.05.31 at 10:18 pm

Just reading your update tonight has given me great joy! Above all else, take care of yourself. You have been truly and greatly missed! And I am certain there are many many of us Costco devotees that are thrilled that you are well enough to return to blogging. I am doing the ‘Snoopy Happy Dance tonight!

16. 23 Candy // 2017.05.31 at 9:57 pm

So glad to have you back! I was just looking the other day to see if my email had not been working and you were posting. I hadn’t missed anything thank goodness. But it IS great to have this back! And disregard people like Michelle. The rest of us are very glad you’re healthier and back again.

17. 24 Eileen // 2017.05.31 at 9:43 pm

What a wonderful surprise to receive your current message! Hope you are feeling better and better, and that you will continue to check in with your very much missed postings!

18. 25 Jackie // 2017.05.31 at 9:27 pm

So glad to have you back and to know you are feeling better.

19. 26 Donna Evans // 2017.05.31 at 9:09 pm

So happy you are back and feeling better…I have missed you!

20. 27 Doris & Gene Goldman // 2017.05.31 at 8:27 pm

So glad to hear from you again. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Just hopes it continues. Thanks for all the info you have snet in the past. good luck with your move back to the US.

• 28 Michelle // 2017.05.31 at 10:50 pm

Elaine, thanks, but where was the entry? No one commenting on the last blog post seemed to have any idea where she was. Only recently did anyone even seem to know she was alive.

• 29 Elaine // 2017.06.21 at 4:20 pm

Michelle, Below is part of the post in which Kimberly tells us she is taking a hiatus.
        ****************************************************************************************************************
        AddictedToCostco on Hiatus & a bit of Remodeling
        December 14th, 2015 · 23 Comments

Just like your favourite television shows, I’ve decided to take a bit of a hiatus for the holiday season. I just kind of need a break and this seems like a good time to take one. But I’ll be back in the new year with all of the usual Costco news, coupons, reviews, and information.
        I’m making a few changes for the new year!

I’m making a few changes for the new year!

During the last week, I have also been thinking about making a few changes around here. I’ve been getting a lot of questions that I can’t always answer and I want to make it easier for people to get the answers they need. Plus, I have a lot of people that like to share their views and thoughts on Costco and I can’t always fit it into my posts. So, I’ve hit on an idea that I think (and hope) everyone here will like. I’ve decided to add a discussion forum to AddictedToCostco.com. This is an idea that I’ve been playing around with for a few years; I know, I know, I should have gotten it done long before now. I just wasn’t sure that was the direction I wanted to go in though. However, I have decided that this will give everyone the chance to share information and get questions answered most quickly. I think this is the perfect way to make sure everyone has a place to share their thoughts and opinions about Costco.

So, to that end, I will be doing a bit of remodeling around here, obviously. During my break I’ll be installing some software, changing the look a bit, and getting the place ready for everyone to have some friendly, Costco-loving discussions.

Have a happy holiday season and I’ll see you in January!
        ************************************************************
        Michelle, there is more on this post, but the above part clarifies the answer to you question.

• 30 Michelle // 2017.06.21 at 6:14 pm

Elaine, thanks, but that doesn’t really explain the absence from Feb-16 until May-17. That post was from Dec-15, and she posted four times (two after the new year) since that post, before disappearing. Considering her post said she would be back after the new year, her return would raise the assumption that she was back from her posted hiatus. That’s why there were endless comments on her last post of people wondering where she was, if she was ok, and what was going on. No one (zero) on there that I received, referred back to the Dec-15 post as to explain where she was.

• 31 CA // 2017.07.10 at 6:08 am

See, I told you she was alive and traveling! My google mojo is strong!

21. 32 Michelle // 2017.05.31 at 8:26 pm

Personally, I find it unacceptable to completely disappear from a successful blog with tons of followers, without even a post saying you’re taking a hiatus from it. I’ve lost a lot of respect for you and the blog. There’s really no excuse. It takes a lot of work and a lot of loyal followers to make a successful blog, and I feel like you took it all for granted. It’s fine and understandable to have a shift in motivations or lose interest in a blog, but just make a quick post saying goodbye for the time being. It’s really not that difficult. You built a family here in your blog, and you left everyone here to worry, without even the notion to post something. I’m glad you’re ok, but yeah, not respectful towards your followers. But thanks for the post. You have redeemed a few points =P

• 33 Elaine // 2017.05.31 at 10:26 pm

Michelle, do some more reading and you will find the entry that told the readership of a hiatus. Yes it was longer than anyone would have wanted, but we we told. Be kind!

22. 34 Steve // 2017.05.31 at 8:13 pm

So nice to have you back!!!

23. 35 tracey // 2017.05.31 at 8:08 pm

WOW – you have surely been missed!
    Welcome back

24. 36 Joe // 2017.05.31 at 2:14 pm

Glad to see you back!

25. 37 Sarah // 2017.05.31 at 12:46 pm

Happy to have you back and healthy!